The NC State Crime Laboratory and NC Office of Indigent Defense Services will offer a free to attend CLE on Friday, Sept. 28, 2018, that is designed to enhance the knowledge of criminal defense attorneys and criminal defense investigators. The program will be held at the NC Judicial Center, 901 Corporate Center Drive, Raleigh, NC. Senior forensic scientists from the State Crime Lab will present updates and key information about the analysis of physical evidence in the disciplines of Forensic Biology (DNA), DNA Database, Firearms, and Latent Evidence.
Following these presentations, the speakers will address questions from attorneys. Due to the confidential nature of casework, questions about specific cases will not be answered. Attorneys can schedule a meeting at the State Crime Lab to discuss the case with the analyst. Attendees may submit questions ahead of time using the registration form or by emailing email@example.com.
The program is approved for 2.5 hours of general CLE credit. Attorneys receiving CLE credit will be billed $3.50 per credit hour by the NC State Bar. Non-attorneys who wish to receive continuing education credit may use this program agenda to apply for their own credit.
Program agenda: http://www.ncids.com/forensic/resources/sept28.pdf
September 28, 2018
8:30-9:00 AM Sign-in (Coffee and light snack provided)
9:00-10:30 AM Presentations by the Forensic Biology (DNA), and DNA Database Sections of the NC State Crime Laboratory
10:30-11:30 AM Presentations by the Firearm and Tool Mark and Latent Evidence Sections of the NC State Crime Laboratory
- John Byrd, State Crime Laboratory Director
- David Freehling, Forensic Scientist Manager, Physical Evidence Section (Raleigh)
- Jennifer Slish, Forensic Scientist Supervisor, Firearms Unit (Physical Evidence Section, Raleigh)
- Zach Kallenbach, Forensic Scientist Manager, DNA Database Section (Raleigh)
- Karen W. Morrow, Forensic Scientist Manager, Latent Evidence Section (Raleigh)
- Jody H. West, Forensic Scientist Manager, Forensic Biology Section (Raleigh)